Rorschach with its beautiful promenade and stately public buildings is the Canton St. Gallen harbour town on the Bodensee. The Kornhaus (granary) is impossible to miss from the lake or land, evidence of Rorschach’s history as a harbour and transhipment town.
The true hallmark of Rorschach is the Kornhaus (granary), built in 1749. The stroll along the Rorschach lake promenade is very popular, e.g. to the bathing huts built in 1924, the only remaining buildings of their kind on the Swiss shores of the Bodensee and linked to the promenade by a small bridge.
Rorschach’s public buildings are slightly more concealed: the Catholic parish church of Sankt Kolumban and Konstantius (renovated and extended in classic style in 1782) and the Jakobsbrunnen (St. James’ fountain) as a reminder of the former early medieval Jakobskapelle (St. James’ Chapel), an important resting place for pilgrims. The Mariaberg Monastery, built between 1487 and 1489, with Gothic cloister and chapter house, is now a teacher training college.
Visit an example of Friedensreich Hundertwasser’s architecture at the «Markthalle Altenrhein». The Hundertwasser house near Rorschach: gilded onion towers, bright colours, sweeping lines, irregular windows, uneven floors, garish ceramic columns, shady colonnades and grassed roof areas.
Another excursion tip is a riverboat trip from Rorschach to Rheineck, then by mountain railway to Walzenhausen, on by postbus to Heiden (Witzwanderweg – joke path) and finally back to the start with the Rorschach-Heiden mountain railway, pulled by a steam locomotive on certain dates.
A nostalgic experience: a cruise aboard the royal steamship Hohentwiel, a former vessel of the Royal Wurttemberg Steamship Co. As well as offering chartered trips, it occasionally makes public cruises. The scheduled boats of the white Bodensee fleet ply the lake daily. A combination of bike and boat enables cross-border tours around the whole lake. Experienced cyclists and bikers can explore the Appenzell Vorderland from Rorschach; the steep climb towards Heiden is rewarded by inspiring views.
- Rorschach Kornhaus – the most beautiful granary in Switzerland, impossible to miss from the lake or land, now houses a regional history museum.
- Cruises on the Alte Rhein – through a rugged and romantic riverside landscape in a beautiful nature reserve to the picturesque small town of Rheineck.
- Hundertwasser Hall Staad/Altenrhein – gilded onion towers, bright colours and sweeping lines of Switzerland’s only building by artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser.
- Fliegermuseum Altenrhein (aviation museum) –development of the St. Gallen/Altenrhein airfield, the Dornier and FFA companies, aviation in eastern Switzerland and the Swiss Air Force.
- Oldtimer Museum in Rorschach and Saurer Oldtimer-Museum in Arbon – two small museums with valuable collections of vintage vehicles.